Kitchen Quick Tip: Re-growing Green Onions Indoors

green onion garden
In their “natural” environment. Image credit: studio3D

Compared to most produce, green onions are inexpensive. Cameron and I don’t eat them as a featured vegetable in our meals, but we often use them as a complementary cooling element in our Asian cooking. Since we eat a lot of Asian-style food in these parts, we go through bunches of green onions every week and often have to make an unplanned run to the grocery store to replenish our green onion stocks. A few months ago, we learned a handy trick to prolong the life of green onion bunches. Hydroponics!

1. Cut the onion down to the place where green meets white.

2. Place the bulbs root-down in a glass of water by your window.

3. Change the water every day, and within a few days, you’ll notice the green stalks growing back.

kitchen quick tip onion growing
It’s magic! Image credit: Hannah Holt.

4. By day seven, the green onions will have risen from their death bed for a few more go’s in the kitchen.

regrowing green onions
I endorse this ad. Image credit: Unknown.

I imagine that like Frankenstein’s monster, these reanimated veggies are not of the same quality as the original, (i.e. they need soil for nutrients, right?), but likely you’re not using green onion tops as the primary source of nutrition in your home.

Have you prolonged the use of other types of vegetables in your kitchen? If so, please share your insights in the comments section.

8 Comments Add yours

1. josephine says:

How very clever! I wish I knew more … basically my staple is ice-cold water with actual ice cubes in it, which freshens up flabby carrots or celery or half wilted salads.

1. gwynnem says:

Oh, the icy water is a great idea. I’m always lamenting about how quickly refrigerated carrots go flabby. I’ll be adding this resuscitation strategy to carrots from now on. Thanks!

2. I’ve been doing this, too, for a few months now. I wish it could be done with cilantro!

1. gwynnem says:

I know what you mean. I’ve been meaning to break down and buy a herb keeper, which is a compact contraption you can use to store your herbs in in the refrigerator. I’ve heard this is one way to keep cilantro going a bit longer. I’m also just thinking about growing some cilantro in my window.

3. One tip I used to do was to rinse excess fresh coriander/cilantro, pat dry and freeze it to use in curries. It’s pretty much the same flavour, but doesn’t keep its shape. An Indian grocer told me when I moaned about the fact a large bunch never stays fresh for long enough for one person to use.

1. gwynnem says:

Yes! I should totally freeze the cilantro if I’m using it in curries. That’s a great idea. I might grow my own in our kitchen windowsill, too, for those days I need it fresh for garnish.

4. renxkyoko says:

We do that, too. Exactly like that.

1. Gwynne says:

Just seeing this. Thank you for stopping by and for weighing in!